Becoming single parents isn’t ordinarily on most people’s ‘to do’ list. The weight on a single parent’s shoulders can be profound, made even harder without adequate support. Did you know the UK government provides a range of benefits and financial assistance specifically aimed at single parent families?

Understanding what’s available is the first step to accessing a vital lifeline at a time when, let’s face it, balancing our finances is harder than ever.

The main categories of state support cover:

  • Universal Credit – A monthly payment to help with living costs, replacing previous benefits. Extra amounts for children and childcare costs.
  • Child Benefit – A tax-free payment made per child under 16, or under 20 if in approved education or training.
  • Tax credits – Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit provide income top-ups for working parents. Extra amounts for childcare costs.
  • Housing benefits – Help with rent payments. Amounts based on your income, rent amount and dependents.
  • Council Tax Support – Reductions in your Council Tax bill based on income, household, and regional factors.
  • Childcare support – Assistance with childcare costs through Universal Credit, tax credits, grants and free hours schemes.
  • Disability benefits – Additional support if your child is disabled or has special educational needs.
  • Education benefits – Help with school costs, free school meals, grants for further education.

The hardest part can often be understanding specifically what help is available for you and in this case, which single parent benefits you qualify for. So long as you’re the main carer for a dependent child under the age of 16, you’ll be eligible for help – 20 if that child is in full time education/training.

You will find that some benefits have extra eligibility criteria, such as income thresholds, number of hours worked or disability status, for example.

To apply for support, you can head to the website. You’ll need key details like your National Insurance number, income evidence, and child birth certificates. Charities can provide application help. Unlocking every benefit you’re entitled to takes some research, but the financial boost is significant.

Universal Credit for Single Parents

Universal Credit (UC) is a monthly payment to help with living costs for those on a low income or out of work. It was introduced to replace six legacy benefits, including tax credits and housing benefit.

As a single parent, there are some specific provisions within Universal Credit that apply to your situation:

  • The childcare costs element – UC can cover up to 85% of your childcare costs up to a monthly limit, to support you getting back to work. You will need to be working to qualify.
  • The child element – your Universal Credit payment will include an additional monthly amount for each dependent child in your care. This is added to your standard allowance.
  • Work allowances – as a single parent, you get a larger work allowance before your UC starts to be withdrawn as you earn more. This allowance is £646 per month if you don’t receive help with housing costs.
  • Housing costs – if you rent your home, you can get your housing costs paid as part of your UC claim, subject to certain limits. This replaces housing benefit.

To calculate your total Universal Credit entitlement, you will need to add up the different elements that apply to you – the standard allowance, child element, housing costs, childcare costs and any deductions. There is an online benefits calculator you can use to get an estimate.

When claiming UC as a single parent, make sure to provide evidence of your status, dependent children, housing costs and any childcare requirements. Attending regular meetings with your work coach is also required when claiming UC.

Child Benefit and Tax Credits for Single Parents

Child Benefit is a tax-free payment available to people responsible for bringing up a child aged under 16 (or under 20 if they stay in approved education or training).

To be eligible for Child Benefit as a single parent, you must:

  • Be responsible for a child under 16 (under 20 if they’re in approved education or training)
  • Live in the UK
  • Have an annual income of less than £50,000

The Child Benefit rate is £21.15 per week for the eldest or only child and £14 per week for any additional children. You can claim Child Benefit as soon as you’ve registered the birth of your baby or when a child comes to live with you. It can be paid directly into your bank account every 4 weeks.

Working Tax Credit provides extra financial support if you work and have a low income. The childcare element can help cover up to 70% of eligible childcare costs up to £175 for one child or £300 for two or more children per week.

Child Tax Credit supports families with children, whether working or not. If you are responsible for at least one child or young person, you can claim Child Tax Credit. The amount depends on your circumstances and income.

Both Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit need to be applied for via the HMRC website. You’ll need details of your income to calculate and claim any entitlement.

Help with Childcare Costs

Childcare can be one of the biggest expenses for single parents. There are several options to get financial support with childcare costs as a single parent in the UK.

Childcare Vouchers

Childcare vouchers can provide a tax and National Insurance break on childcare costs. Some employers offer childcare voucher schemes, where the vouchers are deducted from your salary before tax. This saves you money compared to paying for childcare from your take-home pay. The scheme closed to new applicants in 2018, but you can still get childcare vouchers if you were already signed up before then.

Working Tax Credit Childcare Element

The childcare element of Working Tax Credit provides support if you work over 16 hours per week. You can claim up to 70% of your childcare costs up to limits of £175 per week for one child or £300 per week for two or more children. The childcare provider must be Ofsted registered.

Free Childcare Hours

All 3-4 year olds in England are entitled to 15 hours of free childcare per week during term time, or 570 hours per year. Some parents qualify for 30 hours per week. Free childcare places are offered by nurseries, pre-schools and childminders registered with their local authority.

Benefits for Single Parent Families with Disabled Children

Raising a disabled child as a single parent can be challenging, but there is financial assistance available to support your family. The two main benefits are Disability Living Allowance and Carer’s Allowance.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) provides financial support if your child needs extra care or has mobility difficulties due to a disability or health condition. There are two parts to DLA:

  • The care component covers assistance with personal care, supervision, or watching over your child. The weekly rate depends on the level of care your child needs.
  • The mobility component is for children who have problems getting around or additional transport costs. There are two rates for the mobility component.

Your child may qualify for one or both parts of DLA depending on their condition. DLA is not affected by your savings or income. You can claim DLA for a child under 16.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit paid to carers providing 35+ hours a week of care for a disabled child. To qualify as a single parent you must:

  • Receive Child Benefit for the disabled child
  • Not earn over £128 per week (after deductions)

The current weekly rate for Carer’s Allowance is £69.70. You can claim Carer’s Allowance on top of other benefits, but it is counted as income for means-tested benefits.

Other Support

Other disability benefits include:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for 16+ year olds
  • Access to social care services
  • Disabled parking permit or travel assistance
  • Support groups for parents of disabled children

Speak to your local authority or support organizations to find out more about the full range of assistance available.

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support for Single Parents

Single parents in the UK may be eligible for financial support with housing costs and council tax through means-tested benefits.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can provide help paying rent if you are renting from a private landlord or housing association. How much you receive depends on your income, savings, number of children, and rental costs.

To claim Housing Benefit as a single parent, you will need to provide details of your income, rent, and household circumstances. You can apply through your local council.

Housing Benefit can cover part or all of your rent payments each month. There are some restrictions, for example if your property is considered too large for your family.

Council Tax Reduction

If you are on a low income, you may be able to get money off your Council Tax bill through a Council Tax Reduction scheme (sometimes called Council Tax Support).

The scheme rules vary between local councils but are based on your income, savings, number of adults/children in the household and other circumstances.

You’ll need to apply to your local council to claim Council Tax Reduction as a single parent. The discount can be substantial for those on the lowest incomes.

Applying for Housing and Council Tax Benefits

It’s a good idea to apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction at the same time, as local councils will take both into account when calculating your entitlement.

Make sure you have details of your income, rent, council tax bill and other relevant information to hand. Councils may also request evidence such as tenancy agreements and bank statements.

Applying promptly means you can start receiving support as soon as possible. You may also be able to backdate your claim by up to three months in some situations.

Support for Student Parents

Being a single parent while studying can be very challenging. However, there is financial support available to help student parents with living costs and childcare.

Maintenance Loans and Grants

Single parents who are studying a higher education course can apply for a maintenance loan to assist with living costs. The amount you can borrow depends on factors like your household income.

In addition to a loan, you may be eligible for extra grants if you have dependent children. The Parents’ Learning Allowance can provide up to £1,573 a year, while the Adult Dependants’ Grant offers up to £3,094 if you have an adult who depends on you financially.

Check with your university to find out exactly what maintenance support you can access as a student parent.

Childcare Grants

One of the major costs for student parents is childcare while attending lectures and placements. The Childcare Grant can provide up to £179.62 per week per child to help cover registered childcare costs for students with children under 15 (or 17 for disabled children).

This grant is means-tested and the amount depends on your household income, but it can make a big difference in enabling single parents to pursue higher education. Some universities also offer their own childcare support schemes.

Applying early for the Childcare Grant is advised, as there is often high demand. Speak to your university’s student funding office for help accessing this essential support.

Savings and Investment Options for Children

As a single parent, it’s important to start thinking about saving and investing for your child’s future. Here are some of the main options to consider:

Child Trust Funds

Child Trust Funds were investment accounts offered by the UK government between 2002-2011. If your child was born between those dates, they likely have a Child Trust Fund already set up for them. This can be a great way to get a headstart on long-term savings, as the government provided an initial contribution of at least £250. You can continue to contribute up to £9,000 annually. The funds are locked away until your child turns 18, at which point it converts into a mature ISA.

Junior ISAs

Junior ISAs (JISAs) are tax-efficient savings accounts for children under 18. Anyone can contribute up to £9,000 annually on behalf of the child. The funds also remain locked away until age 18, providing a useful nest egg. JISAs often offer higher interest rates than standard savings accounts. You can choose between cash JISAs and stocks & shares JISAs depending on your risk appetite.

Long-Term Investing

If you have a longer time horizon, investing in the stock market through funds or shares can offer higher returns. Compounding returns over 18+ years gives investments the chance to grow significantly. You don’t need huge amounts to get started. Consider opening a children’s investment account and contribute what you can monthly. Reinvesting dividends and minimizing fees will allow the investment to grow over time.

The key is to start saving and investing early, even small amounts. Making regular contributions to a JISA, Child Trust Fund or children’s investment fund can really add up over the long run. This gives your child a financial head start in life when they eventually gain access to the money at 18.

H2: School-related Financial Support for Single Parents

As a single parent in the UK, you may be able to access extra financial support related to your child’s education. This can help ease the burden of costs associated with schooling.

Free School Meals

If you receive certain benefits such as Universal Credit, Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, your child may be eligible for free school meals. This applies to children of all ages attending school full-time. Contact your child’s school to apply.

School Uniform Grants

Some local authorities provide assistance with the cost of school uniforms for families on low incomes. Grants are usually paid directly to the school. Check with your council or child’s school to see if help is available.

Extra Support for School Trips and Activities

Many schools have small grants or funds available to help pay for activities, school trips, music lessons or sports clubs in cases of financial hardship. Speak to your child’s teacher or the school’s welfare officer to enquire about accessing this support.

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

EMA provides financial support worth up to £30 per week for 16-19 year olds from low income families if they stay in education. This can help with costs like transport and course materials. Applications are made through your child’s school or college.

As a single parent, discussing your circumstances with your child’s school can help unlock additional assistance. Don’t be afraid to ask about any funding available for uniforms, meals, trips and more.

Other Support Services for Single Parents

As a single parent, you don’t have to do it all alone. There are many support services available that can provide assistance, advice and a community of other single parents.


Charities play a vital role in supporting single parent families across the UK. Some of the main charities to be aware of include:

  • Gingerbread – Provides expert advice, practical support and campaigns for single parents. They have an advice line, local support groups and online resources.
  • One Parent Families Scotland – Advocacy and support for single parents in Scotland. Services include helplines, peer support, training courses and legal advice.
  • Family Lives – A national family support charity with a free helpline, parenting and relationship support. Helpful for single parents.
  • Turn2Us – Helps people access financial support through a benefits calculator, grants search and guidance. Useful for single parents.
  • Family Action – Supports families facing poverty, disadvantage and social isolation. Offer grants, services and help accessing benefits.

Local Authority Support

Your local council or authority may also have dedicated services to help single parent families in your area. This could include:

  • Children’s centres and family hubs providing activities, support groups and advice.
  • Social services teams that can provide more intensive family support if needed.
  • Housing, benefits and debt advice from council welfare/support officers.
  • Access to local charities, food banks and support groups.

Check your council website or contact them directly to find out what support is available.

Single Parent Support Groups

Connecting with other single parents in your community can provide solidarity and support. Consider joining local support groups such as:

  • Peer support networks and coffee mornings organised by children’s centres or charities.
  • Facebook groups for single parents in your town or city.
  • National support groups like OnlyMums and OnlyDads that connect single parents.
  • Single parenting forums and communities like Netmums.
  • Local groups for single parents arranging activities.
  • Church groups and community centres that often have single parent support.

Building your support network can make a big difference as a single parent.

About Us

Thanks so much for taking the time to read our posts. If you’d like to know a little bit more about us, just click the button below.

Find out more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from - Youtube
Consent to display content from - Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from - Google
Consent to display content from - Spotify
Sound Cloud
Consent to display content from - Sound